Friday, November 16, 2012

Where in the crap is my husband?

So, we have had a lot on our plate lately.  I have been meaning to get on and blog, but life has been happening too fast and I am too tired. 

 (insert super long story  :)

So let me tell you about the latest stressful thing around here.  So go back in time to Wednesday. It was my oldest daughters 15th birthday.  The older kids were at school and  I was having a normal morning.  I had a phone call from John at 11:16 am  saying he wasn't feeling well and he was coming home.  I said okay, see you when you get home.  I talked to Kim and asked her to babysit while I took him to the doctor.  I didn't know what was really wrong, he had said something about possibly low blood sugar, and being week and fevery..  I looked at the clock and saw it was time for him to be home.  I thought I heard his car so I got off the phone with Kim but I was wrong.  So I just sat by the window and waited.  A few minutes later, still no John.  I was getting worried and called John.  My phone said I had missed a call from John but he did not leave a message.  I sat back in my chair, staring out the window.  I kept calling John over and over and over.  His cell number and work phone.   And Kim was on the phone helping me decide scenarios as to where he was and why he was so late.  By 12:20, I had to leave and go get lunch for Cassi and wait for her bus to bring her back to the school from a field trip and take her to the dentist to get 2 teeth pulled.  That is a long story by itself.  So after that, it is 1:30 and we came home.  I have been a nervous wreck.  I kept calling his phone over and over.  I checked my home phones caller ID and I had a missed call from a hospital.  Now I am panicking.  I called them but they had no John  there.  So I wonder, do I owe them money from taking one of the kids?  Or did John call from the waiting room and then leave?  Where could he be?  There were so many random possibilities  We have 9 kids.  He could have stopped to run an errand.  Those are the things we do sometimes.  So I called his work to find out when he really left.    Someone answered and said, "Hi, John."  I said, sorry, this is John's wife.  I am trying to get a hold of John.  She went to find him, said she couldn't so told me he is probably in a meeting.  I told her I didn't think so.  And told her part of the story.  She said she would ask around.  So I decide to drive to the hospital.  I left my poor 13 year old with a mouth full of gauze to fend for herself and care for the 4 little ones.  She even had to get her own ibuprofen.  I know, I am an awesome mom like that.  I was almost to his work that is really close to the hospital.  On my way, his coworker, Phil called.  He was super worried also and feeling pretty bad that he let John leave.  So, now I have a bit of John's story.  Phil said that John was laying on the floor by his desk feeling sick and dizzy.  So him and another coworker had taken  John to a couch and John had laid there for almost 2 hours.  Then John just wanted to leave.  They both offered to drive him, but John said he would be fine and just go home.  He had left right after he had called me.  So Phil went to the hospital and checked near by parking lots in case he went for food and slept, or passed out.  Since Phil was there, I took John's route home.  I looked everywhere for his car, checked the instacare and went home and sat outside the house in my car wondering what to do next.  Every couple of minutes, I would call the hospital again.  I put feelers out to his family to see if he had contacted them.  I also went in and called the police. When they asked what he was wearing, I said, something BYU.   I kept in contact with Phil  They were in contact with different police also.  So his sister went to the hospital to check again.  After like 10 minutes, they found him at the hospital.  He had been listed as anonymous.  I got the call and I took off running.  Kim had just come over and brought one of her kids with a cake for becca.  They were hugging me and making me cry. When I got the call of where he was, I just grabbed my purse and took off running.  Becca had just gotten off the bus and I yelled, "Happy birthday becca.  Daddy is in the hospital, I have to go."  and I took off.  I called phil and told him.  I called and bawled to my mom.  It was the longest drive.  I had no idea what happened.  I get to the hospital the same time Johns mom did.  On my way to the elevator, I got a phone call from a nurse.  By the time I made it to him, he had a full room.  Co-workers, sister and mom.  I have never been more thankful to see him.

Now on to his story.  He left work and was getting on the freeway and tried to call me.  That was my missed phone call.  (Some of this is speculation.  I have not talked to the trooper or seen the police report, so this is what we have figured out to the best of our info.)  He was on the freeway on a one mile turn and passed out.  He was feeling really bad, but thought he could make it home.  I guess not.  He crashed into a barrier or wall.  He woke up to 2 men helping him.  He remembers bits and pieces.  Memories keep coming back to him.  He woke up laying over the center console and could see the outside ground from inside the car.  He saw his glasses that had flown off his face broken on the dash.  He had blood dripping down his face.   The ambulance came and cut off his super nice BYU shirt.  They loaded him off to the hospital.  The reason I couldn't find him at the hospital is because at this hospital if there is a major trama they don't care what their name is.  They attach some random name for technology purposes.  To keep track of everything they give him.  His name was Jagged Zzzim.  Silly me for not asking the hospital for Jagged Zzzim.  My bad.  He kept trying to get a hold of me.  First he gave them his cell number, then his work number.  He couldn't get his brain to work.  They tried the house.  (That was my missed phone call).  They said they tried the cell, but it must have been when I was frantically calling and texting everyone to see if they knew where he was.  He even tried work.  He had them call Mike, his boss.  But his work told them there was no Mike there.  Ha ha

I was so relieved to have him back.  For sure he had guardian angels with him.  He had forgotten to put on his seat belt since he wasn't thinking the best with being sick.  He was going freeway speeds when he hit a wall.  I am so grateful to have my husband.  I have never been so relieved to see anyone.  I am still in shock that he survived the accident with minor cuts and bruises.  He is super duper sore.  He even had the Nissan insignia bruised into his arm.  His head took a beating.

 This is his only stitches.  The top of his head is
covered in scratches and bruises.  He spent the night in the hospital.  After we got home, we spent last night picking shards of glass out of his his scalp.

The only camera I had is from my phone and sadly I don't have a smart phone, only a dumb phone.  But here are some photos.

His knee is pretty banged up.  It is his knee he had all the surgeries on, but nothing too terrible is wrong. It was huge!!!! We do have a appointment with his orthopedic surgeon  but it should be fine.

It is hard to see it in the photo, but this is his Nissan insignia   You can even see the letters.

Here is his car.

This is a view from inside the car.  Sure enough, he could see the ground through the floor of his car.

I am grateful for his airbags.  
 His head did a good job on the windshield 

 So I guess this is my Thanksgiving post.  I am so thankfull I have a husband.  I am grateful he did not need any surgeries, or have broken anything.  There are so many what-ifs.  I could go on and on, but instead  I will tell you what great people we have in our lives.

Kim helped drive the kids.  It was Mia's dance picture day.

Suzanne and family took my kids to her house, fed them, had a little party for Becca got them to Mutual and James to scouts.  And took care of the little ones.  Including Elly puking.
Then Suz stayed home from work to care for them all the next day also.  Wow, talk about amazing.

Phil, James, Mike, Natalie and coworkers for helping me find him.  They also sent dinner for after we got home from the hospital.

Faith made a diaper run.  I was sitting in the hospital when I remembered that I was out of diapers.  Twin 2 year olds with no diapers is a bad thing.

Andrew for getting his entertainment and hanging out at the hospital.

Michelle for rechecking the hospital to find him.

Mother in Law for spending the night with the kids.  And taking care of puking Elly all night.

Alex and Gary made a late night run to get our chargers and clean clothes  for John.  Oh, and chocolate truffles for me.

The Fosters for bringing us dinner tonight.  (I love being LDS)

Our neighbors for bringing us another dinner.

My kids for being completely wonderful and amazing though out this scary ordeal.

All the phone calls, texts, and facebook messages from people.  All the offers for help are amazing.

If I forgot you, it is not because you are unimportant, it is because I am tired and emotionally exhausted.

I am a very happy wife.

 (I'm so sad    :by james)


Anonymous said...

I love you guys! xoxo! hope things are getting better!
love, izzie!

B-Jacques. said...

Great story to tell the grandkids. Glad all is well. Just for the record "Jagged Zzzim" would be a sweet rappers name if John ever decided to go into the music business.

Claudine said...

This is an absolutely amazing story with absolutely amazing pictures (sorry john, as great as you are, I am talking about the car!) I have never seen anything like this. I hope all are doing well and that Becca gets a belated happy birthday. She deserves it. And by the time you are done taking care of a sick husband, you are going to need a vacation, Miss!!!