Thursday, August 4, 2011

Obligatory volunteering

Question:  "As a sahm, should I be "obligated" to volunteer on 


the PTA? What about other school activities/fundraisers? I'm 


not opposed to it, necessarily, I just prefer to volunteer my


time in other ways." 




Answer:  First of all, the definition of volunteer is a person who performs a service willingly and without pay.


The definition of obligated is to to require. 


Willingly, not required.  So, no, I don't think  a stay at home mom should be required to do anything.  I personally do what I can. If there is something I can do on my husbands day off, I do.  But I am not one who is there all the time.  I think I am a distraction because I have so many little kids.  I have done Jr. Achievement  for the past few years, but last year with 2 babies, I was busy bouncing babies instead of working with the kids.  It was hard. 


   


I am not even going to start in on the whole working mom v. SAHM.  I think what ever is best for your family. (That is also my stand point on home schooling if you were wondering :) But I think you should just do what you are comfortable with.  If you like working in the schools, please volunteer, if you hate it, stay home and work with your kids from home.  But no, no one should be 
required to do anything.  Where do you stand?


  

No comments: